Obstetric Osteopathy specifically looks and the stages of pregnancy. It looks at the changes a woman’s body goes through at the different stages of pregnancy and how the complications of pregnancy can develop at each stage. It gives a rational and guide to treating these complications like:
- Excessive nausea in the earlier stages of pregnancy,
- Aches and pain as a woman’s has to accommodate the growing baby,
- Making sure the baby has plenty of room to develop preventing compression and molding issues through the middle and later stages of pregnancy
- Preparing the woman’s body for giving birth by gently releasing tension in the muscles and ligaments of the pelvis allowing the birth canal to open easily during labor.
- Ensuring and helping proper recovery of a woman’s body from the rigours of giving birth.
This last point is so important and often forgotten with the arrival of a new-born baby and all the attention switches to it. Osteopaths so often find that very many of women’s issues later in life have their root cause in their body not recovering properly from childbirth. These problems can be wide-ranging like:
- Back and joint problems,
- Headaches & Migraines
- Menstrual and Gynaecological problems
- Hormonal problems such as hypothyroidism later in life
- Depression and Anxiety
- Retained labor reflexes which can lead to Uterine prolapse
- Urinary/Bladder issues
- Chronic Fatigue/Fibromylagia